Rudder Repair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

p.brook

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  13:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on coming into shallows I couldn't release the "down haul" on the rudder ,there was a bang and the down haul rope parted from the rudder. I removed the tiller and rudder, the downhaul appears to be secured in the rudder by glue, most of which had been lost. I tied off the rope in the recess in the rudder and continued. Can anyone let me know the correct fixing please

neilgbj

147 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  17:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fairly common problem ! Not sure about the downhaul being glued in but I am pretty sure it is tied off in the recess as you suggest (thats what I did)....Clamcleat do a release cleat which will save you future problems...can't remember the part number but most chandleries sell them

Neil (270)
Go to Top of Page

bubble

51 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  16:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
have a look at this on the 2000 forum

http://www.laser2000.lasersailing.com/chat/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1605

regds neill, cambridge, 622
Go to Top of Page

Sporty

Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  22:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi P,
I did something very similar recently. A chunk broke off the rudder just where the downhaul passed through the rudder into the recess. I have the chunk and am wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to fix it. I was thinking of using araldite to "glue" it back on.
Does anyone know if the rudder material is made of closed cell foam i.e. if the gel coat is scraped off can the rudder become waterlogged through exposure to water?

Thanks,

Regards,
Sporty
Go to Top of Page

pcarter

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  06:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That link above is broken because the L2K site has been re-arranged. The updated link is http://www.laser2000.lasersailing.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1605.

The part number for the cleat is CL257. We've fitted one, because the whole Swale area (near Whitstable) where we sail, is very shallow at low tides, and yes, we have broken our rudder in similar circumstances before we fitted one of these cleats.

The rudder is made of resin, not a closed-cell foam, so can safely be sanded or drilled back if necessary.

For your repair I would possibly consider reinforcing the bond between the two parts with some thin stainless steel pins/wire inserted into holes drilled through both parts, unless you are absolutely confident of the bond between the two parts.

Pete 789
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07