Rudder pintles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vjordan

Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  16:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had some trouble with my rudder when the lower pintle came off the gudgeon when racing in a gusty 15-20+knots. The upper pintle got badly bent and so I have ordered a replacement.

But I noticed the top of the lower pintle pin is about 5mm proud, almost like the pin isn't fully 'down' in the pintle. This might have contributed to the pintle coming off the gudgeon. See photo:
Image Attachment: lowerpintle2.JPG (50.22 KB)
Uploaded on 23-Apr-2015 05:41:58
Viewed 1287 time(s).
Category:Other
Description:
Lower pintle

Can anybody tell me is this position of the lower pintle pin correct? If not, is there any chance of tapping it lower, or is the pin fixed in place by something?

Another question: the lower gudgeon slot has a plastic liner/bushing. The top of this was damaged when the pintle came out. Is this bushing replacable? Anybody know where to get one (Laser Shop only sells the whole gudgeon)?

Thanks. Vincent

NickM

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  09:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vincent:

See my thread below entitled "broken steering." Laser replaced the pintles with a completely new rudder head design involving a long pin. I believe the origianl pintles are simply not up to the job.

NickM
Go to Top of Page

Ed Rice

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  23:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vincent

I've recently bought a keel (sail number 820) and am still doing odd jobs before putting her in the water. I've read with interest the problems with rudder pintles. My lower pintle looks like yours: I think it is deliberate, by having different lengths one engages just before the other which makes hanging the rudder easier. If they were equal you would have to align both top and bottom simultaneously.

I wonder how they are held in - press fit or loctite? I have read in this fourum of roll pins but there are no signs of pins on mine.

Most of the posts on this subject were in 2004 I wonder if later boats (mine is 2005) were to a modified design. NickM below refers to a new design. I would like to see the details. The Laser web site parts drawing http://www.laserperformance.com/images/assets/pdfs/stratoskeel/stratosparts.pdf shows an old style design with a single long pintle (page 12) and current which is like mine (page 13).

Any design with a long pintle would seem to require a removable, or split, tiller arm. So I guess it's not a simple modification. Maybe someone with a modern boat could comment and/or add a picture.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

vjordan

Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  11:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed,

Not long after the post above I got the replacement bottom rudder fitting which includes the pintle. However I managed to straighten the pintle in the meantime so I still haven't fitted the replacement.

I notice there is a roll-pin holding the pintle in place - it's accessible from the rudder-side of the fitting. You're correct - the long pintle works with a split rudder arm on the parts diagram. I'm not sure it warrants all that replacement work.

I was worried about the pintle after I bent it, and straightened it again. In the year of sailing since, which has included some pretty blowy days, I've had no difficulties with it at all. So I conclude the design is fine.

Fair winds,
Vincent
Go to Top of Page

David Duckham

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  16:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the recent discussion on rudder pintles with interest after the bottom pintle broke yesterday in a Force 5. Shortly after the bottom one went the top one broke due to twisting. The worrying thing is that I would say the rudder was not under any load which is should not have been capable of taking with ease. Mine is the later type (sail no 576). I shall be talking to Laser on Monday.

David Duckham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07