New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sporty

Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  22:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
Being sailing my Stratos for about 4 months now - still getting used to hanling her and enjoying every minute. I have one problem however, when sailing close hauled I often get pulled head to wind, even if I fight all the way with the tiller. I have no idea why this is happening. Could it be to too much forestay tension? I have a habit of making it quite tight.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Regards,
Sporty

neilgbj

147 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  19:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sporty...I would'nt worry too much about rig tension....I think the answer is ...hike ! Failing that ease the sails a bit in the gusts (alternatively 'pinch' up into wind to de power), plenty of kicker, if you are overpowered bung on lots of cunningham (does'nt work so well if you have the dredded 'nappy' floatation). If you do the above keeping the boat flat it should solve the problem of 'weather helm'...one other thing ...does the rudder feel heavy ? If it does it might not be fully down....keep asking if things don't resolve themselves
Go to Top of Page

Sporty

Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  23:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Neil - I'll try it out. I was probably not keeping the boat flat enough (got advice from another Stratos sailor in the club). In any case I'll put your words of wisdom to good use.
Cheers

Regards,
Sporty
Go to Top of Page

NickM

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  21:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sporty - Is your boat a Stratos Keel? If so it will behave like a keel boat and come up into the wind if over-pressed. The answer is to spill in big gusts in good time.
NickM

NickM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07