New Stratos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Argonaut

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  13:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking about buying a Stratos Keel. Are they available in the US? Are there any established fleets in the US? And most importantly, what are some good tips for racing these boats? Do you race them flat upwind? How about down wind, are they faster on a 120 degree reach or on a run. Heavy air tips? Light air tips? Any advice about the boat and racing tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Argonaut
Sail Kansas

NickM

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  22:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Argonaut,

I am not an expert, having only raced my Keel a handful of times. But in answer to your questions, I guess the Statos Keel must be available in the US. The Laser website (www.laserperformance.com) lists a huge number of agents including in Kansas. I have no idea if there are any fleets in the US. Why not ask Laser where they have sold them to?

There are some good basic tuning tips under the "Hints and Tips" tab of this website. I would say that all small boats should be sailed as flat as possible at all times. In open waters with enough wind to make it plane under genniker, the Keel is ging to be quicker tacked down wind at 120 degrees. In light winds, it may be quicker to forget the genniker and sail the shortest route, especially if you can keep out of an adverse tide.

The Stratos keel is brilliant in strong winds - better than maany larger boats - and if you are racing against centreboard dingies you will enjoy sailing past their upturned bottoms. However, you will struggle to hold your handicap in lighter airs against lighter dinghys.

I hope you make the right decision!

good sailing,
NickM

NickM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07