New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

neilgbj

147 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  18:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see from the on line entries so far only 5 boats registered.........is anyone else going (more the merrier etc) ? If anyone is undecided I would recommend it.........

Neil
Go to Top of Page

sandy

49 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  18:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil. This is just the people who have registered and paid up on-line. There are more enteries - paper entries by post. I have asked Lymington SC for an update on numbers today.
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

neilgbj

147 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  20:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy

Good news......it would be nice to improve on last year !

regards

Neil
Go to Top of Page

MikeBeggs

44 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  22:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trophy is polished (staybright, no need to polish, actually) and up for GRABS !!!
The large area to the South of the Clubhouse is the Lymington sea-water bathing pool. An ideal place for families to play while we sail.
The launching slipway is to the North.
On July 4th it is top spring tide, high water between 12.50 and 14.50, as there is a stand of high tide.
The tide is absolutely perfect for a cruise to Newtown, Isle-of-Wight, and a barbecue on the beach. For this we would have to be ready to launch about 11.00.
Alternatively, for later arrivals, we could have an evening cruise to Keyhaven and back, leaving about 16.00 as the tide will turn about 18.00.
From this you will gather that to sail around Lymington, you need to make use of the tides.
If you want to take part in either of these, bring an anchor and line if you can, unless you like to pull your Stratos up the beach (heaven forbid, but Wayfarers do!)
Let me know if either of these appeal, and I will make arrangements.
See you at the Nationals,
Mike Beggs
mikebeggs@waitrose.com

Go to Top of Page

MikeBeggs

44 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  22:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Camping.
If anyone wants to camp for free, use my back garden.
It's about 3 miles from the club.
Outside loo and water supply.
Let me know if you want to try it.
Mike Beggs
mikebeggs@waitrose.com

Go to Top of Page

pcarter

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  06:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cruise to Newtown sounds great, but if there are a lot of late arrivals then we could do the later trip instead. Will there be rescue cover or should we bring our outboard (you never know)?

Really looking forward to sailing on the Solent on a dinghy for the first time.

Pete 789
Go to Top of Page

deswift

122 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  10:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure whether my crew can make the friday.

We did a similar cruise/picnic to Netley Abbey (Southampton Water) last weekend with four of us in the boat - and our friends in their wayfarer. Had to pull the boats partially up on the beach, due to the anchor not holding when the swell/wash got up.

Really looking forward the whole weekend at Lymington!
Go to Top of Page

neilgbj

147 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  15:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike

The Newtown (is that the creek between Yarmouth and Cowes) trip sounds good and if most are doing it I will drag my son out of bed and get an early start from Suffolk so that we are ready to go.......if late arrivals mean we do the later trip then I am sure we will all enjoy that........

regards

Neil
Go to Top of Page

neilgbj

147 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  18:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really racing (but linked to the potential Friday cruise !).... out of interest where do people generally store their anchor and chain/warp ? I have tried to put it in the grey bag but not all that convenient when other things are in there. I currently have mine in a bucket which is secured to the storage bag which makes the anchor more accessible. The main thing is keeping the anchor and chain off the gelcoat and keeping it accesible but secure. Anyone do anything else ?
Go to Top of Page

deswift

122 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  18:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine goes in the grey bag, usually right at the bottom. I suppose it should be tied on, so that it doesn't try and escape when ... I mean IF I capsize.

D
Go to Top of Page

Sayling

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  19:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Sayling's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We will only be able to make the evening cruise, as we are coming down on the Friday morning. (It's a shame, Newtown sounds great -- I remember anchoring and swimming there when I did a Competent Crew course with Five Star Sailing in 2000).

I wasn't intending to get chain for the anchor.
Sayling

sail no. 568 - 'Ketchup' @ FGSC
Go to Top of Page

MikeBeggs

44 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  22:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete,
It seems like there is interest for both potential cruises on Friday 4th July.
There is no reason why we shouldn't run both, Newtown lunchtime, Keyhaven later.
An outboard might be useful, but if there are several boats I can probably arrange a RIB for cover in case we need a tow back.
As for anchors, I put mine, with line in a separate bag and tie it in, in case of capsize. Also a pair of lightweight folding paddles.
Cross your fingers for good weather. I will circulate a forecast when known.
See you on the water.
Mike.

Go to Top of Page

bubble

51 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  20:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
I had a previous engagement but it got cancelled, hurray!!!!
so we can come to lymigton!!

Some questions,
I have a 2.3 hp honda out board would this be useful to bring?
I don't have an anchor, what should I buy?

I have two kids and a wife , would the cruise suit them?, [at a push we could get there early from cambridge.]

last question, which campsite is everyone else using?

regds, neill, cambridge/grafham sc

neil*at*neilfoster3.orangehome.co.uk

Edited by - bubble on 19 Jun 2008 11:45:41
Go to Top of Page

pcarter

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  22:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neill,

Really glad we've another boat coming. Can't answer all your questions, but we regularly go on cruises - that's me, my wife and two children aged nearly 9 although the kids were only 4 when we first started taking them. The outboard would be useful as there isn't yet a definite commitment for rescue cover. We will be bringing ours. Did you see Mike's offer for camping in his back garden?

Pete 789
Go to Top of Page

bubble

51 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  08:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi

still trying to buy an anchors, if I remember correctly from previous sail course on yachts, there is a length of chain then warp depending on depth and boat, there are kits on eBay, using various weights/types of anchor so I am baffled.

any advice please

neil 622, cambridge

Edited by - bubble on 19 Jun 2008 11:46:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07