Keel Uphaul
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

NickM

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  19:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spotted on my Stratos Keel that the 5mm bolt which runs across the bracket at the top of the keel, and to which the keel uphaul block & tackle assembly is attached, was bent way out of shape. Could have been embarrassing if it has sheered with the keel down... It was a real job to get it off. I have now replaced it with a 6mm bolt and hope for the best. Any other keel owners had a similar problem? Might be worth checking.

NickM

Ian S

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  20:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Have also replaced mine with a 6mm ... Started off with a spare 6mm pin & split ring, then realised (crunch) it would not go into the keel slot like this, !! SO replaced again with a stainless 6mm bolt from sailboats.co.uk ... Tightened up, and then ground off the excess bolt and about half the nut with an angle grinder - probably welded bolt to nut in the process!! This works well, and doesnt bend, or leave anything proud at either end. Have also swapped the 8mm lifting line which I inherited with the boat for a 6mm, as the 8mm was making the lifting & dropping far too difficult. Next job is a spinlock swivel for the kite uphaul, and potentially trapeze wires...!!

Ian
Go to Top of Page

angus

3 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  11:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ian, could you let me know if replacing rope helped as i have major problems with moving the keel up or down!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07