Laser Stratos Class Association Laser Stratos
Home About the Class Events Forum Community Hints & Tips Links Contact Us
Laser Stratos Class Association
 All Forums
 Racing
 Racing
 Nationals 2008

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sandy Posted - 11 Feb 2008 : 22:58:46
I hope you have all had a restful winter break from sailing but are now all looking forward to the new season.

Now is the time to start thinking about the Nationals this year – getting your holiday planned, accommodation arranged etc. The Nationals will be at Lymington SC this year on Sat 5th and Sun 6th July, with a warm up cruise or practice race on the Friday. Peter, the children and myself will be there taking part on Friday. Those of you who were there last year will know that our current champion Mike Beggs will be the race officer this year so we are guaranteed a new champion (I am just about to order the trophies!). Like last year it will be a fun family weekend with lots of competitive sailing thrown in!. There will also be other classes racing at the same time so we are sure to have lots of boats on the water and some lively evening entertainment. Those of you who have visited Lymington in the past will know just what a lovely place it is.

The NOR and other information will be available shortly on the forum and I will also be sending out entry forms to everyone in mid March when I send out the association renewal notices. Similar to last year, the first few entries will have their entry fee refunded at the event. So make a date in your diaries and keep an eye out for the entry form and NOR which will be available on the forum and in the post quite soon.

I look forward to seeing LOTS of you in July.

Happy Sailing

Sandy
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MikeBeggs Posted - 24 Jul 2008 : 19:24:52
Neil,
Well done, you showed it was possible.
I shall NOT copy your posting to the Harbour Master - who thinks there is a 4 knot speed limit !!
Mike.

neilgbj Posted - 12 Jul 2008 : 08:35:47
Mike

We managed to turn our gps on for the last run or so....consistent 12 knots, not bad for a reefed two sail reach !

regards

Neil
MikeBeggs Posted - 11 Jul 2008 : 21:27:00
That weather forecast wasn't bad, the wind was a predicted and the rain didn't start until later.
Unfortunately, for Saturday and Sunday it was also near correct - it blew like hell and there was no racing.
2 Stratos with full reef blasted up and down the river on Saturday afternoon, just to show what could be done. Luckily the Harbour Master didn't try to apply the 4kts speed limit !!

Nationals 2008 Mark 2 will be held at Lymington Town Sailing Club on 9th and 10th August 2008. It will be part of the Dinghy Regatta, together with a Laser 4000 Open Meeting. Watch this space for more details.
Mike.

MikeBeggs Posted - 02 Jul 2008 : 22:48:01
Friday 4th July - Pre-Nationals Cruise and Familiarisation.

As detailed above I will run 'cruises' on Friday.
The weather map looks good, especially for the lunchtime cruise to Newtown.
As for the evening cruise to Keyhaven, the weather looks suitable except it may rain. If it does rain we can still go, but the barbecue may be cancelled, and after a rest on the beach we can return to Lymington.

The detailed weather forecast information is available on the website:
http://www.ltsc.co.uk/
under 'Weather' on the top right.
A summary, based on Metcheck is:

Time Wind direction Wind Speed mph Additional

10-13 South 10-12 Fine
13-16 South 6 - 7 maybe rain
16-19 SE 8 -10 lots of rain
19-22 Se 11-13 maybe still raining

For the racing, lots of wind. Saturday 18-20 S/SW, Sunday 21 SW.
I may propose a 'compulsory reefing', so be sure to bring reefing lines if you have them.

See you on Friday for cruising, or Saturday for the Nationals.
Mike.

bubble Posted - 27 Jun 2008 : 09:05:12
thanks mike

looks great
i will phone you

neill, cambridge
MikeBeggs Posted - 26 Jun 2008 : 22:02:27
Cruising from Lymington on 4th July

O.K., so it isn't racing, but it might be useful to get to know the area if you intend to race in the Nationals on 5th and 6th July.

Weather permitting I would like to invite any Stratos to come with me on either or both of the following cruises:

1) Lunchtime in Newtown. Newtown used to be the capital of the Isle-of-Wight, but the French burned it in the 13th Century and it was never rebuilt. It is the most unspoiled harbour on the Island.
See website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_River
We need to leave Lymington about 11.00, briefing at the Club at 10.30. Distance about 4 miles across the Solent.

2) Afternoon cruise to Keyhaven and barbecue on the beach. Need to leave at 4.00 p.m., briefing 3.30 p.m. Distance about 2.5 miles West on the mainland side.

These are not official LTSC events, just me going for a sail with friends. If the weather is unsuitable we don't go. I will bring a RIB or launch if necessary.

If you are interested please let me know either by email or better telephone.
I will try to give a local weather forecast on Wednesday 2nd so you will know to travel earlier or not.
Hope to see you then.
Mike.
mikebeggs@waitrose.com
Tel: 01590-683894

bubble Posted - 19 Jun 2008 : 20:07:40
thanks neil

just been talking to a chandlers who tried to get me to buy allsorts of anchors but I think the folding grapnel will be the only one I can stow, so i think your suggestion is good.

mikes camping offer is indeed good and kind but i think the kids will be better off with campsite facilities etc.

I am trying to book Hurst view ,

regds neill, cambridge

neilgbj Posted - 19 Jun 2008 : 19:25:27
Neill

I think mine is 3.5kg grapnel anchor with about 3 metres of chain and 20 metres of warp.......anchor probably a bit light (compromise with storage) but with the chain it has held my boat on east Coast rivers where tides are pretty fierce.........at the end of the day all you really need it for is to keep the boat afloat off the beach (or some holding in an emergency)...good to see you are going....We are camping at Hurst Point I think (booked before Mikes kind offer)

Cheers

Neil 270
bubble Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 08:57:12
hi

still trying to buy an anchors, if I remember correctly from previous sail course on yachts, there is a length of chain then warp depending on depth and boat, there are kits on eBay, using various weights/types of anchor so I am baffled.

any advice please

neil 622, cambridge
pcarter Posted - 17 Jun 2008 : 22:24:16
Neill,

Really glad we've another boat coming. Can't answer all your questions, but we regularly go on cruises - that's me, my wife and two children aged nearly 9 although the kids were only 4 when we first started taking them. The outboard would be useful as there isn't yet a definite commitment for rescue cover. We will be bringing ours. Did you see Mike's offer for camping in his back garden?

Pete 789
bubble Posted - 17 Jun 2008 : 20:21:26
hi
I had a previous engagement but it got cancelled, hurray!!!!
so we can come to lymigton!!

Some questions,
I have a 2.3 hp honda out board would this be useful to bring?
I don't have an anchor, what should I buy?

I have two kids and a wife , would the cruise suit them?, [at a push we could get there early from cambridge.]

last question, which campsite is everyone else using?

regds, neill, cambridge/grafham sc

neil*at*neilfoster3.orangehome.co.uk

MikeBeggs Posted - 12 Jun 2008 : 22:36:41
Pete,
It seems like there is interest for both potential cruises on Friday 4th July.
There is no reason why we shouldn't run both, Newtown lunchtime, Keyhaven later.
An outboard might be useful, but if there are several boats I can probably arrange a RIB for cover in case we need a tow back.
As for anchors, I put mine, with line in a separate bag and tie it in, in case of capsize. Also a pair of lightweight folding paddles.
Cross your fingers for good weather. I will circulate a forecast when known.
See you on the water.
Mike.

Sayling Posted - 12 Jun 2008 : 19:04:32
We will only be able to make the evening cruise, as we are coming down on the Friday morning. (It's a shame, Newtown sounds great -- I remember anchoring and swimming there when I did a Competent Crew course with Five Star Sailing in 2000).

I wasn't intending to get chain for the anchor.
Sayling

sail no. 568 - 'Ketchup' @ FGSC
deswift Posted - 12 Jun 2008 : 18:12:59
Mine goes in the grey bag, usually right at the bottom. I suppose it should be tied on, so that it doesn't try and escape when ... I mean IF I capsize.

D
neilgbj Posted - 12 Jun 2008 : 18:06:26
Not really racing (but linked to the potential Friday cruise !).... out of interest where do people generally store their anchor and chain/warp ? I have tried to put it in the grey bag but not all that convenient when other things are in there. I currently have mine in a bucket which is secured to the storage bag which makes the anchor more accessible. The main thing is keeping the anchor and chain off the gelcoat and keeping it accesible but secure. Anyone do anything else ?

Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07