Racing
 Stratos Nationals 2011
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandy

49 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  17:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the start of the sailing season is nearly upon us, just a reminder of the dates and location of this years’ Nationals.

They will be held on 16-17 July at Whitstable Yacht Club.

We are currently planning the event but the format will be similar to past years with 2-3 races each day with a lively social event on the Saturday evening, a meal and some form of entertainment, and on the Friday we may have an informal BBQ or just join in with the normal Friday night meal at the club. There will be vegetarian and children options on both nights. Packed lunches will also be available as will breakfasts at the club.

For those of you who don’t know, Whitstable is a very pretty, historic small town on the North Kent coast. The Yacht club is situated right on the beach and the cathedral city of Canterbury is only 8 miles away so there is plenty to do for non-sailing family and friends when the weather is good and even if it’s not so nice. Now is the time to start getting your accommodation arranged as Whitstable can get VERY busy and places will get booked up early I should imagine. Whitstable YC does have a link on their website for places to stay and it also has some rooms that can be booked on a daily basis. http://www.wyc.org.uk/about/accommodation.

For those of you who have never been to a Stratos Nationals please have a think about it this year. It will be a fun family weekend with lots of competitive racing thrown in. It is a chance to meet people with the same boat, pick up a few tips, make some new sailing friends and put faces to the names that you know from the forum – for those that use it.

Just a quick note now regarding the forum. I know that some of you are regular contributors and get a lot out of it. Can I suggest that a few more of you have a go on it and use all the valuable information that it now contains.

I hope to see LOTS of you in July.

Best wishes

stratosphere

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  13:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sandy & all

My 1st post so hi to all!

My friend and I have just bought a Stratos as a way of returing to sailing after a 10+ year break and to cultivate the kid's interest in sailing and all things nautical (we hope...) so are very interested in coming to the Nationals.

What do we need to do and hope you have room for some newbies!

Thanks

Three sheets to the wind is still sailing :o)

Edited by - stratosphere on 11 May 2011 13:43:01
Go to Top of Page

bubble

51 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  09:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi sandy
hi stratosphere

I feel guilty having just read this post, we should post more

its the summer now, so i suppose we are all looking to sail again.

sandy, this clashes with monty's topper open , but we loved whitstable so much last time I am looking to move things around. :-)

neill jacs monty and jasper
cambridge
Go to Top of Page

stratosphere

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  15:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sandy

When will an application form for the nationals be available please?

Sorted some accomodation which was intersting as it's the golf open that weekend also so I would advise anybody thinking of going to get their bookings in as soon as posisble!

Thanks

Edited by - stratosphere on 16 May 2011 15:54:46
Go to Top of Page

NickM

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2011 :  22:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sandy,

I'm hoping to come but have to work till late on the Friday before. Would it be OK to bring my boat down to Whitstable SC the previous weekend and leave it rigged up on the beach ?

Nick

NickM
Go to Top of Page

sandy

49 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  08:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nick

I will check with Whitstable SC this weekend if you can bring your boat down a week early, my guess is that it will be OK. I will let you know next week.

We are working on the final draft of the NOR and entry form at the moment,as soon as they are ready I will post them on the forum.

Glad you can make it.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

sandy

49 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  08:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nick

Yes, it would be fine to bring your boat to Whitstable the weekend before.

Still working on the NOR, SI and entry form. they will be available any day soon.

Sorry for the delay.

Best wishes

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

sandy

49 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  20:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Please find attached the NOR, Sailing Instructions, Entry form and menu for the Nationals.

File Attachment: NOR_2011.pdf (76.17 KB)
Uploaded on 23-Apr-2015 04:42:33
Downloaded 854 time(s).
Category:Forms
Description:
Stratos National 2011 NOR

File Attachment: Menu_2011.pdf (5.17 KB)
Downloaded 501 time(s).
Description:
Stratos Nationals 2011 menu

File Attachment: Entry_Form_2011.pdf (102.36 KB)
Uploaded on 23-Apr-2015 04:42:32
Downloaded 528 time(s).
Description:
Stratos Nationals 2011 Entry form

File Attachment: Sailing_Instructions_2011.pdf (106.31 KB)
Downloaded 853 time(s).
Description:
Stratos Nationals 2011 SI

I look forward to seeing lots of you there.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

NickM

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  13:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Keel weather this weekend! Yesss.

NickM
Go to Top of Page

Derek Richards

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  21:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow we a fantastic weekend at the nationals - why have I not done this before. Thanks Sandy and team for a great (if windy-ish!!) event
Go to Top of Page

stratosphere

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2011 :  11:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and thanks from us also for a great weekend, great to meet all of you and see Whitstable. We had a blast and really enjoyed the sailing and those moderate gusts!! Special thanks to Sandy for helping us get our sail repaired and for the help from many others to re-rig our mast and other things, we learnt a lot in a short time!

Pleased we managed to finish now it's time to try and race!!!

Edited by - stratosphere on 19 Jul 2011 11:35:12
Go to Top of Page

deswift

122 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2011 :  12:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the results and photos being posted. Sounds like a good weekend - how many boats attended?
David

David
Warsash Sailing Club
Go to Top of Page

sandy

49 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  13:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All
Here's a link to the website of the guy who was taking photos on Saturday (lucky he came on Saturday!).
http://www.championmarinephotography.co.uk/galleries/Stratos%20Nationals%20and%20Wanderer%20Open%202011/index.htm

For those of you who couldn't make it, take a look at what sort of weather a Stratos can deal with. Great fun was had by all.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

sandy

49 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  13:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is the report that is being submitted to Yachts & Yachting. Thank you Mike for doing this for me.

Flying Dutchman wins Laser Stratos Nationals

The 2011 Laser Stratos Nationals were held on 16th & 17th July at Whitstable Yacht Club.

The Stratos Class Association had invited representatives of the Royal Netherlands Navy to attend, as they will be competing in Laser Stratos keels in a Defence Regatta to be held in Turkey in 2012. The Dutch Team of three and their Manager had chartered Stratos 69 from the Whitstable Sailing School. This was helmed by Timo Hagoort who flew in from coming 19th in the Finn Europeans.
Conditions on Saturday proved so extreme that the Race Officer cancelled the first race and postponed the second. Eventually after a 3 hour postponement 9 hardy competitors set sail in 20 knots and gusting, leaving several more on the beach to watch the fun.
Just as the start line was set a wind shift to the South offered a monster port bias, sending the competitors to the ODM. The Race Officer quickly recovered, moving the ODM to windward sending the competitors scurrying back to the Committee Boat end.
At the start Hagoort gained the windward berth covering Mike Beggs, 2009 Champion, as they sailed a long inshore starboard tack. This paid off with Hagoort first at the windward mark, a lead which he held to the finish.

With a strengthening wind, now over 25 kts, the second race started into a very lumpy sea. This favoured Nick Marden in his Stratos Keel who sailed away from the fleet, but Hagoort again sailed well inshore and put his Finn sailor weight advantage into a very narrow lead at the windward mark. As the leading boats rounded the mark, hoisted assymetrics, and flew towards the wing mark, a gust of 35 kts overtook them, causing most to be upended, including Hagoort. This gave Marden the lead, but as the gusts further increased even the keel was not enough and he was broached and laid flat for several minutes. Again Hagoort put his skill to advantage, recovering back into the lead followed by 2010 Champion Andy Meek making the best use of the conditions to come home second.

After a very social Saturday evening, the weather failed to deliver anything less than 33 kts on Sunday, so no further races could be held.

Results
69 Timo Hagoort & Tom Werff Royal Netherlands Navy
1st 1st Points 2 1st
161 Mike Beggs & Rob Stavenuiter Lymington Town S.C.
2nd 4th Points 6 2nd
1003 Nick Marden & Toby Marden St Mawes S.C.
4th 3rd Points 7 3rd
217 Andy Meek & Jacob Harding Manor Park S.C.
6th 2nd Points 8 4th
273 Mike Rowe & Bill Shelvey Slaughden S.C.
3rd 5th Points 8 5th

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07