New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robsant

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  16:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thinking of buying a Stratos ,but would like the option of an outboard .

Where can I buy an outboard bracket from, and what are the recommended outboards ?

Is there a max hp ?

Thanks

Rob

m80

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2016 :  16:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Honda BF 2.3 is well thought of. we've used ours for many hours in no wind conditions.
Quiter would be nicer, less vibration to the hand also. It moves the boat along nicely and at about 40% throttle a litre of fuel (it's own tank capacity) is good for about 2 hours. Full throttle will use it up much faster with maybe a couple of knots advantage.
I carry a 5 litre fuel tank with tie down straps through the rear toe strap plates, so the fuel tank sits close to the outboard and is out of the way of feet.
4 stroke so no mixing.

I would far rather sail than motor but hey ho.

I thought most Stratos came with the outboard bracket supplied??
I took mine off and sprayed it white as the peeling varnish on the ply plate looked out of place.

If you go for a greater power there is more weight to lug so I'm happy with the 13kg 2.3

Martin.
Go to Top of Page

Milton Massive

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2017 :  20:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looking to get a Honda 2.3 for my recently purchase Stratos keel.

I'm not sure whether to get the short shaft or long shaft.
The short shaft has a transom height of 418mm which I believe will not be long enough to give the recommended 150mm below waterline.
Go to Top of Page

pcarter

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2017 :  07:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've got the short shaft version of the Honda outboard. The length is fine for the Stratos. There have been a number of discussions about this in the past. You could try using the search feature at the top of the page and search for "outboard".

Pete 789
Go to Top of Page

Milton Massive

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  15:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUTBOARD BRACKET HELP!!

As they are no longer available to buy I am trying to make an outboard bracket to fit to my Stratos.

Would anyone mind letting me have a look at their boat so that I can take some measurements.
I am near Oxford so fairly central.

Alternatively I could post a drawing for someone to add dimensions to.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

Novice Bob

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  15:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, I can scan my the outline to you. I made mine by folding a sheet of paper around a Stratos' bracket that was parked next to mine in dinghy park. Easy to make, cut out shape twice in 18mm marine ply, epoxyied together (and put a couple of self tappers in either side drilled mounting holes and bolted to boat with wing nuts and rubber washers. Gave it three coats of yacht varnish. Is starting to delaminate after 4 years, time to make a new one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07