Laser Stratos Class Association Laser Stratos
Home About the Class Events Forum Community Hints & Tips Links Contact Us
Laser Stratos Class Association
 All Forums
 General Chat or Queries
 Technical
 Upwind rig set-up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
simon thomas Posted - 19 Sep 2009 : 20:41:42
We bought our Stratos earlier this year and have been club handicap racing and also did Fowey Regatta Week. We really like the boat and think it performs pretty well on its handicap.
We have found ours to be a good deal quicker downwind than RS200s and the Comet Trio, both with similar handicaps, especially powered up on a broadish reach if we can hold the spinakker. Upwind however, although we have reasonable boat speed, we are pointing a good 20 degrees lower and paying for it. I have set the rig up with the shrouds on the 2nd hole from the top in the front row of pinholes and the lowers tensioning when the kicker comes on. I chose these settings really just by eyeballing the mast to be fairly upright as I could not find any rig tension/masthead to transom distance guides. As I'm currently set up, I can't get the main block to block even with stacks of kicker. Do you think I need more rake to help me point? I'm worried this will just depower the rig and take the edge off our downwind speed.
Very grateful for any comments.
Simon Thomas.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
deswift Posted - 16 Jun 2013 : 21:55:57
Pete, Sean,
As above, if you search this forum for 'manual' you should get whatever documents have been uploaded before. Might be a good idea to download and save a local copy.
I'm sure between us all we could come up with enough detail to put together a 'tuning guide' as no such thing exists so far.

David
Warsash Sailing Club
pcarter Posted - 15 Jun 2013 : 09:52:48
It looks as though Laser have taken the manual/rigging guide down along with most of their site.

I've just uploaded a copy of a manual that I downloaded from Laser in 2007. I'll update the link on the home page soon. You can find the it here:

http://www.laserstratos.org.uk/resources/LaserStratosManual2007.pdf

I also have a copy of an older manual (in glorious black and white) for the same version of the boat, but I don't have a copy of the manual for the original (black-masted) version of the Stratos. If anybody has a copy of that manual I'd be happy to upload that too.

Pete 789
Seancurtis Posted - 15 Jun 2013 : 07:45:19
Does anyone have the old 2006 stratos manual saved as a pdf? not surprisingly the Uk laser pages are disappearing and the old link here doesn't work? If so, could someone send to sean@seancurtis.co.uk please

many thanks

Sean Curtis
deswift Posted - 09 Sep 2010 : 10:06:49
Probably a Pete question! :)

If you search the forum for 'manual' you'll find my post on this subject, with a Rigging Manual attachment.

David
Warsash Sailing Club
sboot Posted - 08 Sep 2010 : 13:45:51
Can't we host copies of these documents from the Association Web site?
pcarter Posted - 06 Sep 2010 : 22:35:33
Here's the official link to the latest keel manual:
http://uk.laserperformance.com/images/assets/pdfs/stratoskeel/stratoskeelrigging.pdf

... but on the home page to this forum there's a link to a much better manual (the 2006 manual) also hosted on a Laser site. Fortunately they've not taken it down.

http://www.lasersailing.com/downloads/boat-manuals/Laser%20Stratos.pdf

Pete 789
Sporty Posted - 06 Sep 2010 : 22:17:28
Nick,
I get a 404 error "page cannot be found" when I try your link. Is the guide available anywhere else?

Thanks,
Sporty

Regards,
Sporty
ivanwilson Posted - 20 Sep 2009 : 18:18:09
My limited experience of adjusting the mast location further back on its mast step gave noticably better upwind performance. This experience is offered from a single weekend opportunity to race at Rutland - and we won the race ! Certainly worth a try. Ivan Wilson
NickM Posted - 20 Sep 2009 : 12:07:25
Simon,

It sounds to me as though your mast is too upright. The Stratos should be rigged with quite a lot of rake. I use the settings recommended by Laser in the Stratos rigging guide (now for the Keel, but it is the same thing,) and I seem to point as well as other dinghies. Take a look at http://www.laserperformance.com/main/images/stories/pdfs/Stratos/StratosKeelRigging.pdf

good sailing!
Nick

NickM

Laser Stratos Class Association © 2000-20013 Laser Stratos Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07